The NEW ProStar MPPT™ is a mid-range MPPT solar charge controller with TrakStar Technology™ that provides maximum power point tracking (MPPT) battery charging for off-grid photovoltaic (PV) systems.
Prostar MPPT™ solar charge controller is an advanced maximum power point tracking (MPPT) battery charger for off-grid photovoltaic (PV) systems up to 1100 watts. All versions include load control and TrakStar™ Technology to maximize PV efficiency and energy harvest.
The ProStar design has been proven in over two decades of use in the world’s most demanding installations—and ProStar today reflects Morningstar’s policy of continuous improvement through regular upgrades and enhancements. Because Morningstar’s employee-owned culture never “rests on success,” ProStar customers can own both a legend and the latest in a single product.
Models: PS-MPPT-25, PS-MPPT-25M, PS-MPPT-40, PS-MPPT-40M,
Specifications and Certifications by Model
|*Input power can exceed Nominal Operating Power. Controller will limit and provide its rated continuous maximum output current into batteries.|
|Charge Rating||25 amps||25 amps||40 amps||40 amps|
|Max. PV Open Circuit Voltage (Voc)||120 volts||120 volts||120 volts||120 volts|
|Nominal Battery Voltage||12V or 24V||12V or 24V||12V or 24V||12V or 24V|
|Nominal max. Operating Power* – 12 volt battery||350W @45C||350W @45C||550W @45C||550W @45C|
|Nominal max. Operating Power* – 24 volt battery||700W @60C||700W @60C||1100W @60C||1100W @60C|
|Battery Voltage Range||10-35V||10-35V||10-35V||10-35V|
|Voltage Accuracy||<=0.1% +/- 50mV||<=0.1% +/- 50mV||<=0.1% +/- 50mV||<=0.1% +/- 50mV|
|Operating Temperature Range||-40 C to +60C||-40 C to +60C||-40 C to +60C||-40 C to +60C|
|Warranty||5 Years||5 Years||5 Years||5 Years|
|CE and RoHS compliant||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Approved for use in Hazardous Locations: Class 1, Division 2, Groups A-D||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|ETL Listed [UL-1741 and Canadian CSA C22.2 No.107.1.01]||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|FCC Class B Part 15 Compliant||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|Manufactured in a Certified ISO 9001 Facility||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
- High Reliability – conformally coated circuit board, corrosion resistant terminals, premium high-frequency CoilCraft inductors, over-spec’d components, transient surge suppression, and lowest published failure rate in the industry.
- Automatic PV Based Lighting Control – field adjustable, multi-event load control enables powerful options for PV lighting systems.
- Maximizes Energy Harvest – using TrakStar MPPT Technology to determine and adjust to the true maximum power point as solar insolation changes throughout the day.
- MODBUS Communications – Solar Industry Standard MODBUS communications protocol allows for easy programming, control, remote data access and charge synchronization.
- SNMP Monitoring – when used with the EMC-1 accessory to enable your network management systems to display key solar power metrics and alert/fault codes.
- High Efficiency – at low, medium, and high output power levels to maximize energy harvest and minimize heat buildup inside the controller.
- High Strength – polycarbonate case and extruded aluminum heatsink.
- Data Logging – up to 256 days of detailed power and load data.
- Self Diagnostics – continuous monitoring and reporting of any errors through its status LED’s, optional display or communication port.
- Low Noise Design – meets US Federal Communications Commission Class B specifications.
- Meter – allows adjustments to charging, lighting, and load control settings without a computer.
- Fanless design for long-term reliability–no moving parts to fail, no dirt and debris sucked into the controller, and no parasitic load to reduce efficiency.
ProStar MPPT Controller | 4 minute video
This short video highlights the high quality of the ProStar MPPT solar charge controller, and its ability to regulate charging of lead acid, lithium, or nickel cadmium batteries in off-grid solar applications. The video also addresses lighting control, self-diagnostics, data logging, MODBUS communications, array oversizing, and low noise design.
Morningstar Charging Experts featuring ProStar MPPT | 6 minute video
This 6 minute video highlights the ProStar MPPT solar charge controller’s circuit board that differentiates it from other brands. In addition to the capacitors, inductors, processors, surge protectors, and other over-spec’d internal components, the quality of the controller’s heat sink and outer casing is also addressed. The video concludes with mention of features and capabilities related to communications, datalogging, lithium battery charging, and high quality and reliability.